– 80-87 percent of individuals who are blind are in developing countries.
– 80-85 percent of blindness is preventable, though the number of blind caused by infections diseases is decreasing. In the developing world, cataracts are the largest cause amongst adults and hygiene of pregnant mother is the largest cause amongst new-born
– 90-95 percent do not attend school and never become educated
– There are 1 million children and youth worldwide who are deafblind.
– There are 6 million children worldwide who are blind or visually impaired.
These statistics are from a variety of sources, including the WHO, and were collected by Kim Polman during her August 2008 trip to Kenya.